Listview notify_dispinfoT Messageformat

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at
Sun Oct 31 07:52:17 CST 2004

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 10:50:33AM +0000, Robert Shearman wrote:
> Yes, that is correct. It would be a lot better to use a boolean flag
> rather than storing the actual format code so that:
> if (infoPtr->notifyFormat == NFR_UNICODE)
> becomes:
> if (infoPtr->bUnicode)

Maybe a bit simpler yes, but surely not a lot :) Anyway, this flag is
tested for NFR_* only _once_ in a 10000 line file, so I actually think
that sticking to the standard is a better option here.

> The old code does indeed send the correct notifications. Maybe there was
> a bug in the function somewhere that prompted Aric to make his change.
> However, the code could be a lot simpler by doing conversions from A to
> W on incoming messages and then only doing W to A conversions for the
> notifications, rather than the matrix of 4 cases you described above.

Oh, come on, it was just a few more lines of code. In fact, I was happy
with the code as it standed (that's no surprise, as I wrote it :)).
I think we should just revert to it, and accept changes only with
supporting tests. At the time that Aric submitted the patch, I was
rather unhappy with it, but he claimed he performed extensive tests
that proved that behaviour. He should have submitted them as part
of the test suite.