Wine and industrial communication like OPC

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Thu Sep 16 07:13:14 CDT 2004

> We are a small software company, and I know that some customers of us are
> interested in OPC on Linux in the past. There is one working solution as far
> as I know. It is a OPC Toolkit from Technotrend which is based on the
> COM/DCOM implementation EntireX of Software AG. But its not Open Source
> unfortunally.

It wouldn't be. The Software AG implementation was produced under
contract from Microsoft back when they thought DCOM was going to rule
the world, and it's based on the Windows NT codebase. In fact they did a
mini-wine and duplicated parts of the win32 API in order to make it work.