ntoskrnl and safedisk

Ivan Leo Puoti ivanleo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 13:40:23 CDT 2005

I won't have much time to work on this stuff for a while, so I thought I
might as well post it here.
I've got a ntoskrnl.exe that can load, unload and initialise drivers
successfully (Well, I've only tried with a few builds of safedisk but
that doesn't matter), it can also dispatch io requests received from
DispatchDeviceControl to the driver.
However safedisk fails by returning STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL in the IRP's
IoStatus.Status member, I haven't been able to debug this because
winedbg refuses to step trough the code properly, however I will try
again when I have time to do so. In the mean time you can download and
build this stuff yourself, the patch that teaches wine to interact with
ntoskrnl is at
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/nonsolomicrosoft/public/patch.diff ,
ntoskrnl itself is here
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/nonsolomicrosoft/public/ntoskrnl.tar.bz
you'll also need
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/nonsolomicrosoft/public/ntoskrnl_protocol.h
, put it in include/wine.
A full ./configure && make depend && make is needed to build this stuff
into wine after patching.
Comments/ideas/fixes welcome. Note that ntoskrnl isn't thread safe ATM
and probably can't handle more than one driver at any one time.

Ivan.