windows file dialogs with unix file path

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Apr 22 02:48:37 CDT 2005

Hi Troy,

On Friday 22 April 2005 00:56, Troy Rollo wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:53, Michael Jung wrote:
> > The functions, which do unix to
> > wine path conversion, would try to find a path starting from a wine drive
> > letter and if none is found, would pass through the unix path.
>
> I don't like this idea. Aside from the fact that it would slow everything
> down when using a UNIX path, you have case sensitivity issues (UNIX paths
> should be case sensitive, Windows paths should not).
>
> An app should know at compile time the path is a UNIX path or a Windows one
> anyway. As this is something only a WineLib app should care about it seems
> to me that a deterministic compile time solution is better than an
> heuristic run time solution.

That's a good point about the heuristic. So probably unix paths should just be
passed through, without searching for a valid drive letter based wine path.
This would also cleanly separate case sensitive path names from case
insensitive ones. (I'm assuming, but am not quite sure of, that there is a
cheap and robust way to distinguish unix paths from windows paths just by
inspecting the string. Might be hard especially for relative paths.)

I think it would be cool if unix paths would be available to non WineLib apps
also:
1.) There might be applications, which treat filenames as opaque objects and
just happen to work with unix paths.
2.) People, who write Win32 programs might have wine in mind and build their
programs to work with unix-paths, without going all the way to port their
apps to WineLib (I do have a bunch of source code for Borland OWL based apps.
They work fine with wine, but it doesn't seem easy to me to port these to
gcc/WineLib.)

Bye,
--
Michael Jung