sound enabled but no driver checked

Cihan Altinay cihan at
Tue Dec 20 17:42:16 CST 2005

Quoting Robert Reif <reif at>:

> Cihan Altinay wrote:
> >With a fresh wine prefix sound is enabled but I can't
> >see which driver is used because none of them is checked
> >in the new winecfg sound dialog.
> >Did we forget to initialize the boxes on first run?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Cihan
> >
> Use regedit to show HKCU/Software/wine/Drivers/Audio.
> Chances are it's empty (no drivers checked) so sound is
> disabled. It could be set to a driver that is not available
> but winecfg checks for that and should give you an error.

Well... the key doesn't exist unless I run winecfg at least once
and change something. In that case it's not really important because
a user will probably do that anyway.
The only minor issue would be that someone runs winecfg for the first
time and is satisfied with the defaults (no driver checked -> sound off)
so without any changes he dismisses winecfg. And in this case it seems
one of the drivers is used by default (sound on).