[lostwages] Remove winetools from download page

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Dec 22 12:01:23 CST 2005

Hi Vitaliy,

On Thursday 22 December 2005 18:32, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> Also had an interesting case last night: person had problems with
> winetools. When I asked the version, he said it's 3.0.9. So, there is your
> problem. Some one packaged winetools and made this version number.

This seems to be the version we are distributing via our debian
apt-repository. Have a look at http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/

> As far as winetools go. I see a really bad patterns there.
> 1. There is no clean way to install them for a local user to test.
>    Winetools are invasive and change too many things and go into to many
>    places. This is not the way to package software.
> 2. It can't use wine from the source tree (again for testing).
> 3. It's using redundant scripts to like findwine. For what purpose?
> 4. Those scripts override environment variables that wine and wine parts,
>    depend on. Why?
> 5. It adds some extra needless overrides to the registry, like
>    DLLOVERRIDES="*=native, builtin". Is there a reason for this? That
>    _is exactly_ what we, developers, trying to avoid.
> 6. "Version"="win98" - that is wrong. Wine's default _is_ win2k.

You should bring your concerns to Joachim von Thadden's or Sven Paschukat's
attention. If they fix them, we can keep the link to winetools. If they
prefer not to fix them, we can explain to them why we think this is a problem
for wine's development progress and thus give a rational for removing the
link.

Merry Christmas (or if you prefer, Happy Holidays ;)
--
Michael Jung
mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de