Microsoft genuine downloads looking for wine

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Fri Feb 18 01:34:31 CST 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:45:11 +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>

>>In any case, at least from a technical point of view, going around such
>>test ought to be fairly simple

If the mere existence of this key makes the validation fail, what's to
stop a virus from simply adding this key as a way to stop legitimate
users from downloading the security fix for that same virus? If MS is
really doing what we think they may be doing here, I don't think they
are going to be enjoying it for long. They are (what else is new?)
shooting themselves in the foot (again?).

>I don't think we want to go there. I demonstrated a way of checking for
>Wine to Rob last night that we really cannot fix or workaround, and if I
>can think of it they certainly can too.

I think I know what way you are thinking of. Not sure someone less
versed in the way Wine works (it's an emulator, right?) would figure
that one out, but I guess you are right. I'll try to catch you on IRC
and see if we are, indeed, talking about the same thing.

>Basically if we start integrating workarounds into Wine, it'll lead to an
>arms race we cannot possibly win.

Technically, it will probably cost them more than it will cost us. Then
again, they also have more resources. I'll just point out that I don't
think there is anything inherently wrong with MS wishing to keep the
parts that truly are core Windows for Windows legal license users only.
The main problem with MS is that what they call "core OS" can get quite
absurd.

> Better to ensure our users don't need
>anything from that website.

Amen to that. So, opengl, dcom, what else do we need? :-)

>thanks -mike

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh