PRESS: run windows viruses with wine ...

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jan 27 15:19:45 CST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Hiji wrote:
[...]
> Here's something to add into the mix...
>
> I'm not quite sure how other Linux distros work, but
> Sun's JDS mounts any Windows partitions under
> /windows/[drive letter] .  IIRC, Wine makes drive Z
> the root.  So, a virus theoretically could go through
> each drive, eventually hit Z drive, and then from
> there, get to the Windows partitions -- that is, if
> the partitions are Fat32, it can do damage.

It seems you're just repeating what Mike Hearn said and ignoring what he
and I said about non-root users not necessarily having write access to
the Windows partition. It's a bit irritating because that last part is
exactly what I was trying to pointing out. Apparently I failed :-(

Now you may have been confused by the fat32 thing. But under Linux if
you mount a fat32 partition with all defaults then only root can write
to it. If you want other users to have write to it, then you have to
use the appropriate mount options to set the umask, user and group just
right.

Do man mount and look for uid, gid and umask in the 'Mount options for
fat' section.

      We are Pentium of Borg. You will be approximated. Division is futile.