avifil32, msvfw32 and friends

Jan Jezabek jezabek at poczta.onet.pl
Fri Jun 10 20:26:32 CDT 2005

Jan Jezabek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the current state of VfW support? I have tried a few
> applications, and they seem to fail sooner or later:
> - virtualdub runs fine, but it's only possible to use RGB, cvid or ms
> video. I installed the xvid and divx vfw dll's to wine's
> c:\windows\system, updated the Drivers32 and drivers.desc keys in the
> registry, but virtualdub still doesn't let me use them,
> - I've also got a program written by me, which reads an AVI and stores
> the video part on disk. Here the problem seems to be AviFileInit which
> seems not to be implemented.
>
> My question is: how much of msvfw32.dll and avifil32.dll is implemented?
> I've had a quick look at msvfw32 and it seems to do what I expected -
> enumerate all strings from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32. Does anyone know why the drivers then fail
> to show up in VirtualDub? Are there any parts of the AVI reader
> implemented or are they only stubs?
>
> Regards,
> JJ

Ok, this post was probably better suited for the 'users' list. Anyway,
I've posted a patch that solves the first issue.
The second one is a little harder; it works ok using builtin msvfw32 and
native (winXP) avifil32.dll. With the builtin avifil32.dll I can open an
AVI, get a video stream, read its format (dimensions etc.). After that I
get a segfault somewhere in AviStreamGetFrame. Is this
(AviStreamGetFrame) supposed to be working? Or is it partially
implemented/broken? It seems that the AVI (or at least the header) is
being parsed correctly.
I have another question: I'd like to participate in Summer of Code; I
have some background in multimedia compression - I've written a
VfW-compatible codec [1], and also once created a DirectShow component
for it. Is there anything (preferably multimedia-related) that I could
help implement as part of SoC?

Regards,
JJ

[1] http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~jezabek/blox/