winecfg's registry convience functions

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jun 23 02:16:10 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 13:26, Michael Jung wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 June 2005 13:08, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > One thing we might want to look into is integrating with the GNOME/GTK+
> > file roots. In the new file picker, it hides the UNIX by default and you
> > have multiple roots like "DVD Drive", "Home", "Desktop", "Apps on
> > SomeServer" and so on. I think that's a much more user-friendly way of
> > doing it than exposing things like /mnt, /usr/, /etc to the user. That
> > would be an additional unixfs feature I guess.
>
> I think those should be handled by a MyDocuments shell folder, which should
> work with both shfldr_fs and shfldr_unixfs, whatever the user selected. So
> we would have multiple instances of the MyDocuments shell folder with
> different names (like Home, DVD Drive, ...) and different target
> directories (like /home/foobar or /cdrom), configured with winecfg (or
> perhaps read from the gnome config).

I found the website http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html , which
describes how to create virtual shell folders that link to locations in the
filesystem. And then there's the freeware tool "Shell Object Editor"
http://www.tropictech.de/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=1 , which does
this stuff programmatically. I guess if we implement the necessary behaviour
in wine, that would be all we need? (And perhaps some code in winecfg to read
the gnome configuration and map it to virtual shell folders.)

Bye,
--
Michael Jung
mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de