Drive detection stuff

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Fri Mar 4 17:21:26 CST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Free space detection is strictly being based on the properties of the
> current "main" partition mapping, as it should be.
> There really isn't any way for Wine to account for a "mysteriously much
> bigger" "special" directory inside the current drive that Wine sees.

Doesn't Windows 2000 and greater let you mount network drives in
arbitrary places in the filesystem (another Microsoft 'invention' I

Note that this is from some fuzzy memories of reading stuff about it,
not that I ever used this functionality myself. If this does indeed
work, then there may be more free disk space in "c:\Program Files" than
in "c:\"  and it would be interesting to see how Windows deals with

So can anyone confirm whether I remember right? If yes, how does one do
this kind of mounting and how does Windows deal with them when reporting
the free disk space?

Francois Gouget         fgouget at
                 Linux: It is now safe to turn on your computer.