Scrollkeeper, the documentation, XML, and the way forward

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sun Mar 13 06:26:27 CST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:53:01 +0100, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> There's nothing great about SGML, no argument here; but as far as I
> can tell XML is the same mess except a bit worse. And I can't say I'm
> particularly thrilled to have to change all the documentation every
> couple of years just to follow the so-called standard of the day.

As far as I know our documentation almost *is* XML, I think if it weren't
for the <!docbook thing at the top it'd be valid. I don't see anything
wrong with modifying the way we include stuff slightly to make it valid
XML, I doubt it'd be invasive. The DocBook XML toolchain is better in my
experience than jade et al anyway.

On the other hand I do question the value of ScrollKeeper integration
right now. I think there is a plan to replace it with some new
freedesktop.org help standard though no real timeframe to do so.

thanks -mike