Window style problem with Steam

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at
Mon Mar 14 08:52:47 CST 2005

I had a look at the "no keyboard problem" with Steam. A little reseach showed
that Steam creates its main Window with WS_SYSMENU set but WS_CAPTION not
set. MSDN says that WS_CAPTION must be set if WS_SYSMENU is used:

	Creates a window that has a window menu on its title bar. The WS_CAPTION
style must also be specified.

If I check for this case in WIN_CreateWindowEx and set WS_CAPTION, the Window
is controlled by KWM and I can type in the Steam window. But KWM draws the
normal Window boarder and it overlaps the rest of the Window and confuses the
mouse. Furthermore the menu of  the systray applet has a Caption.

The solution I've found is to set the WS_EX_APPWINDOW flag in cs->dwExStyle.
In this case Steam behaves as I'd expect it. But is this a correct solution?

Any suggestions?