Enhancing winetest infrastructure [WAS: Wineconf agenda]

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Thu Mar 17 12:28:59 CST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Jakob Eriksson wrote:

> Ouch. Of course, should have thought of that. Maybe we
> need a patch penguin?

CVS actually handles 'vendor branches' fairly nicely.  It should be
possible for Jakob (or whoever else decides to be the 'test penguin') to
maintain his own 'testing' CVS tree, with rapid development, etc, and
periodically resync his own tree to canonical Wine CVS (using the vendor
branch functionality) and then create large-ish 'tests-only' chunks from
that to throw at Alexandre "once in a while".

There really shouldn't be much reason for Alexandre to reject patches that
touch tests only; after all, if the tests pass on windows, they should
pass on wine, no matter how evil they look.  (Well, within reason.)

That's MHO, at least.  If I understand correctly, the primary reason for
the 'testing' CVS is just to manage distribution of proposed tests to a
server farm of test-runners; which is slightly different from the purpose
of the mainline CVS tree.  [Also -- a decoupled 'testing' CVS like I
describe above can be implemented by the motivated folks w/o Alexandre's
involvement at all, which permits judgements to be postponed until we've
got some evidence of usefulness.]

In this vein -- where *is* the current testing infrastructre located?
I'm pretty new to Wine, and I couldn't find any links from winehq.
[These should probably be added, or made more visible if they do exist,
especially if the goal is to encourage test submission with patch
submission.]
  --scott

LIONIZER class struggle SCRANGER ESGAIN overthrow GRALLSPICE UKUSA
tonight EZLN Sudan NSA KMFLUSH PBPRIME mail drop Leitrim IDEA AELADLE
                          ( http://cscott.net/ )