shell32 icon indices and the "intialization hack"

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at
Fri May 20 05:42:37 CDT 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 11:58:18AM +0200, Michael Jung wrote:
> Hello,
> Since the application of this patch
> the "open folder" icon isn't displayed correctly any more in the file dialogs.
> There's a note in shell32/iconcache.c which states
> > hack to load the resources from the shell32.dll under a different dll name
> > will be removed when the resource-compiler is ready
> Furthermore shell32's shellfolders do some fancy stuff with the icon indices
> in their IShellFolder::GetIconLocation methods (they invert the indices). Is
> this the way windows does it? Could someone point me to information on this
> and the hack mentioned above?

The numbers are -ve becasue those are what are passed to ExtractIconEx
- that function extracts the n-th icon resource if the number is +ve
and the icon with res-id n if the number is -ve.  We need the latter
behaviour.  This is what Windows does too.

Huw Davies
huw at