shell32 icon indices and the "intialization hack"

Michael Jung mjung at
Fri May 20 04:58:18 CDT 2005

Since the application of this patch
the "open folder" icon isn't displayed correctly any more in the file dialogs.

There's a note in shell32/iconcache.c which states
> hack to load the resources from the shell32.dll under a different dll name
> will be removed when the resource-compiler is ready

Furthermore shell32's shellfolders do some fancy stuff with the icon indices
in their IShellFolder::GetIconLocation methods (they invert the indices). Is
this the way windows does it? Could someone point me to information on this
and the hack mentioned above?

Michael Jung
mjung at