WineHQ css; binfmt && Mono && wine

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sat May 21 13:50:41 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 12:18 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> The simplest solution is just to pull Debians helper thingy upstream
> and recommend packagers depend on that in their packages, IMHO. Wine
> may need to use Mono at some point but it's been years and not many
> apps have a heavy .NET dependency yet.

The problem is that Mono really needs Wine to be able to do a good
job. But because we didn't provide a workable solution they went
ahead and redid the GDI, controls, you name it.

This is just wasted effort. They will probably get "close", but
will never be "good enough". They just fail to understand that.
Nevertheless, a lot of effort will be wasted, and we as a community
will be years behind providing a good solution. Sigh.

Not to mention that we (the Wine project) lost a huge contributor.
If only a fraction of that effort would have been put into improving
the controls say, we would have been in a much better place.

I really think we need to put more effort in addressing this properly.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.