Wine on Solaris?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Nov 1 08:10:58 CST 2005

Rob D <rddone at att.net> writes:

> After perusing Robert Lunnons patchkit for hints to resolve build issues,
> it would appear that most of the issues that keep Wine from building on
> Solaris are known, but for whatever reason, do not get accepted into the
> main stream source.

Any fix that is done cleanly is accepted. Ugly hacks and workarounds
aren't, no matter whether they are for Solaris, FreeBSD or Linux.

> I know that Solaris does several things quite different than most *nix
> implementations, but perhaps due to the limited use of Solaris, the powers
> that be resist putting in extra tests to support a small set of users.

Certainly not. I'd love to have better Solaris support, but the fact
is that some of the issues like threading or ptrace are hard to solve
properly.  It has taken months of work to implement them on Linux, and
it will probably take about the same amount of time for Solaris. So
it's mostly an issue of lack of manpower on the Solaris side. Robert
Lunnon is doing a lot of great work, but there is only so much a
single person can do.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org