wine / Linux kernel interaction

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Fri Oct 21 07:31:52 CDT 2005

> Yes it does, look at include/ddk/usbscan.h in mingw32,
> or MSDN's STI/WIA documentation, the section on
> USBSCAN.SYS. Reading and writing do raw bulk pipe
> transfers, ioctl's do specific things: particular
> ioctl's (USBSCAN_READ_REGISTERS,
> USBSCAN_WRITE_REGISTERS,
> USBSCAN_SEND_DEVICE_REQUEST...) build and send control
> pipe USB packets. I did implement the kernel module
> and it really works, in case I forgot to mention it.

Although it will surely work for scanners that use that code, there's no way
to guarantee that all scanners behave that way. Their implementers are free
to code whatever they want in the driver. So while this solution works for
devices that use the usbscan.sys, it doesn't cover other devices. I don't
know any statistics about who uses usbscan.sys and who doesn't, so maybe it's
all a moot point.

Kuba