preload libGL

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Sun Oct 23 03:27:36 CDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 11:33:45PM +0200, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> those people don't need to know what opengl is.. the distribution
> packager needs to make wine depend on opengl.. and they didn't.. so it
> was their fault..

Yes, but tell that to the users who complain to us 'Wine is broken, it does
not work on my box, it's crap'. Wine is already somewhat hard to package, so
why should we make the life of packagers harder ?

And frankly, I find it nice to only have the libraries that really need it
(opengl and wined3d in the current tree) hard-link to OpenGL. That means
that people can ship a 'work anywhere' Wine without even having to check the
GL dependency (as Wine will handle it gracefully for them): if GL is
installed, Wine supports it, if not, Wine will work except for OpenGL32.DLL
and D3D8/9.DLL (which is to be expected).

> I don't see why you (eg. wine developers) should need to fix something
> (it's not really a fix, just a workaround) that is caused by someone
> else (eg. the distribution packagers).

See before. It's Wine's image that is hurt by this, not the packagers.

> like with other packages that require some strange libraries, why can't
> opengl be a 'hard' dependency for wine?

I would reverse the question: why should it be when only 2 DLLs over the 200
Wine provides needs it ?

        Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/