Strange problem with OpenGL in recent versions of wine

Daniel daniel.skorka at
Fri Sep 2 16:38:53 CDT 2005

Hi there,

recent versions of wine have shown a very peculiar behaviour for me. The
first I noticed it with was 20050628, whereas I know 20050310 to work in
this respect. What happens is that any program that uses D3D or OpenGL
will at startup complain that it is missing hardware acceleration, that I
should change the color depth or some such thing. The program will then
quit or switch to software rendering. Wine will at the same time show
an OpenGL-related error. The exact error will differ from program to
program, but it will always say the same:
No Pixelformat matching what the program wanted could be found.
Programs with which I have experienced this:
Quake 3 Demo
I seem to be the only one having this problem, as I couldn't find
anything on the web. Is there something obvious I am missing?
(Yes, Linux Q3 works fine)
I would really appreciate any help with this, as I'm out of things to
try. Feel free to ask for additional info, logfiles etc.

Daniel Skorka