IDE disk geometry

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Wed Sep 21 00:18:05 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 18:22, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> Tuesday, September 20, 2005, 6:11:49 PM, Michael Ost wrote:
> > Should I put my code in CDROM_DeviceIoControl? Or handle it in
> > NtDeviceIoControlFile? Should I pass all other IoControlCodes except
> > IOCTL_DISK_DRIVE_GET_GEOMETRY for a verifiable IDE drive on to the
> > CDROM_... function?
> I don't it make any sense to create the whole new file to parse just one IOCTL.
> So you might just add it to the cdrom.c I think that might get accepted.

I don't think it was clear that the device in question is not a CDROM,
but a hard disk. Are IDE hard disks supposed to be lumped in with CDROMs
in the code?

> But before you go too far, pleas look at kernel/oldconfig.c. It does some
> parsing of /proc already. So all you need to do is to find where this
> information is stored on windows (it has to be somewhere in registry) and add to
> that. Then you don't need to parse /proc all the time but just read info from
> the registry. One possible option would be to use IOCTL_SCSI_GET_INQUIRY_DATA to

OK. That's a good idea, except that in the Wine version my company is
using there is no oldconfig.c. So for our version I guess I would patch
dlls/ntdll/cdrom.c by reading out of proc directly. But I would submit a
version that stores disk geometry in the registry. I'll look in to that.
Thanks for the feedback... mo