IDE disk geometry

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Sep 21 02:57:15 CDT 2005

    Michael> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 18:22, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
    >> Tuesday, September 20, 2005, 6:11:49 PM, Michael Ost wrote: > Should
    >> I put my code in CDROM_DeviceIoControl? Or handle it in >
    >> NtDeviceIoControlFile? Should I pass all other IoControlCodes except
    >> > IOCTL_DISK_DRIVE_GET_GEOMETRY for a verifiable IDE drive on to the
    >> > CDROM_... function?  I don't it make any sense to create the whole
    >> new file to parse just one IOCTL.  So you might just add it to the
    >> cdrom.c I think that might get accepted.

    Michael> I don't think it was clear that the device in question is not a
    Michael> CDROM, but a hard disk. Are IDE hard disks supposed to be
    Michael> lumped in with CDROMs in the code?

Our IOCTL handling is a mess.

I had a patch that splitted out IOCTL code handling to separate, loadable
dlls, but the patch went by unnoticed. Look for Mail from around July 10
"Uniform SYS/VXD Handling x/6"
In your case, when you did CreateFile("\\c:\"), in file.c it would be
noticed that a raw handle on the disk is needed and something like
"disk.sys" would be loaded, where you would implement the needed IOCTL.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de