headless question, and IPC question

Paul Millar p.millar at physics.gla.ac.uk
Fri Sep 30 10:03:26 CDT 2005

Hi Ken,

On Sunday 25 Sep 2005 10:37, Ken Larson wrote:
> 2. The sockets trick was the simplest way I could figure out how to
> do IPC between a linux process and a wine process.  However, is
> there are any better or faster way to do this?  As far as I know I
> can't use winelib because I don't have the source to the DLL.

Apologies if this is all obvious ...

However you do your IPC, you'll suffer from having to do context
switching from changing between the different processes (server &
client).  Depending on the application, there might be merit in
bunching requests together and processing them in one batch.

That aside, there's additional overhead from the communication between
the two tasks, which you can do in a number of ways (sockets,
pipes, ...).  Using shared memory (e.g. the SysV shmget() call) would
allow the two processes to share parameters, results, etc with no [*]
overhead.

[*] not quite true (kernel might need to do some page fetching, for
example) , but near enough.

HTH,

Paul.