Summer of Code Project: DirectPlay

Adam Luchjenbroers Adam at luchjenbroers.com
Fri Apr 21 14:24:22 CDT 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:46, Francois Gouget wrote:
> It seems like this would prevent you from connecting to games hosted by
> commercial companies (e.g. Microsoft) as these are unlikely to install
> the Wine DirectPlay library.
>
> Or is DirectPlay never used in this way? Even so I think that when Wine
> implements network protocols (DirectPlay, DCOM) it should really be
> wire-compatible because requiring the other side to use our protocol is
> impractical it many cases.

With the way DirectPlay works, we could provide our own provider and a
compatible provider if we so wanted (at least, to the extent of my
knowledge).

> > True. but how does that sit with respect to reverse engineering? Any
> > potential legal issues?
>
> Presumably not since this is essentially how Samba is being developped

Good point, do they adhere to any rules / procedures to ensure legality?

A few other concerns:
*	I recently searched MSDN for DirectPlay information - what information is
still up there is perforated with dead links. Does anyone know where the good
documentation (prefereably for all versions of DirectPlay are).
*	I took a brief look at dplay.c, at the moment it contains implementations
for DirectPlay 2,3 and 4 (all in the one file) - to this we'll need to add
5,6 and 8. Is it worth re-organising this code to make the result (with the
new interfaces) less cluttered? Perhaps a dplay[2-5,8].c, with common code in
dplay.c?

--
Dib: "Now what Zim, whats your next plan?"
Zim: "Lets run screaming!"