Re-proposal: web forums

Kai Blin blin at
Sun Apr 23 13:28:32 CDT 2006

* "Tom Spear (Dustin Booker, Dustin Navea)" <speeddymon at> [23/04/06, 13:00:51]:
> See directly below..  People see all of these choices on where to go to
> get help, but dont like any of them (dont want to be flooded with
> emails, dont want to search the archives, or it isnt in the archives,
> dont know how to use bugzilla and dont want to learn, dont like the
> appdb, etc, etc, etc), so they go to somewhere else.  The wiki isnt
> really designed for posting questions to, so they dont use that either..

And that make maintance easier how?

> >* How would getting our own IRC server fix the "having to switch
> >  networks back and forth" problem? As opposed to freenode, where I can
> >  hang out in #wine-devel, #winehq, #samba-technical and so on, I now
> >  need to switch networks if I want to go from #wine-devel to
> >  #samba-technical.
> >
> It doesnt prevent that, it just makes it easier to control how fast the
> server comes back up in the event it goes down for whatever reason..

If I read correctly, they seem to
have 16 servers up and running. I never had any major problems
connecting. As opposed to us having a single point of failure. Besides,
freenode is where I'd look for most free project's IRC channels.

Kai Blin, (blin at gmx dot net)
Reapply as necessary.