wininet: Support http_proxy environment variable

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Aug 11 09:28:54 CDT 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Augusto Arcoverde da Rocha wrote:
[...]
> Yes, it's supported but isn't a standart and has no guaranties to
> exists on all architectures as Alexander said in a reply in this list

$http_proxy and $ftp_proxy may not be very well documented but they are
defacto standards and as such it would be good to support them in Wine.

> IMHO, the current password exposition is a ugly thing:
> $ export http_proxy=http://user:__>>**password**<<__ at host.dom:8080
>
> I think would be preferable hide the password typing and don't storing
> it in a file like system register, maintaining it in the memory only.
> Perhaps getting the password altrougt some interactive process which
> hide the password.

Storing the password in an environment variable is ok as there's no way
for other users to access it. Besides, changing that would require
changing the $http_proxy standard so which is a completely separate
issue.

I think the important issue at hand is that currently Wine completely
ignores the user's proxy settings stored in $http_proxy.