[1/2] tests: Add skip_wine, a standard way to skip tests that would cause Wine to crash.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Dec 14 07:59:52 CST 2006

Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> writes:

> I see some advantages though:
>  * the code exists rather than not being written in the first place
>  * it is compiled, which is better than putting it inside an '#if 0'
>  * 'skip_wine' clearly indicates that the test needs to be fixed in
>    Wine, which a basic '#if 0' or 'if (0)' does not do
>  * the test statistics will clearly indicate that one of the tests fails
>    in Wine, rather than show that every test succeeds
>  * the test will be run on Windows

Doing it right would involve running the test on Wine inside an
exception handler, and verify that it actually crashes. That's not
trivial to do in the tests though.

Also I'm concerned that adding a mechanism like this will encourage
writing tests that pass garbage pointers, since in most cases this
doesn't crash on Windows. But passing bad pointers isn't an
interesting test unless a real app depends on it, and if it does then
we have to prevent Wine from crashing, adding skip_wine in the test
won't help the app.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org