"Windows Everywhere" foresaw Wine back in 1993?

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:38:16 CST 2006

On 2/9/06, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> --- snip ---
> To lure Independent Software Vendors, "Windows Everywhere" offers a kind
> of "magic dust" that will end their cross-platform support problems.
> Microsoft claims that Windows programs will run on any computer with
> nothing but a simple recompile.  Windows programs will run under Unix
> through an emulator.  "Wings" will let you recompile into a native
> Macintosh application.
> --- snip ---

This could also be referring to the widespread belief at the time that NT
would run on any platform.  Any architecture, not any OS.  Not sure, hard to
say.  I recall a lot of smoke and mirrors back then because MS didn't want
to fully take the wraps off Windows 95 and were trying to misdirect
competitors.  (Which, back then they had quite a few more.)

-Brian