[wined3d] Status update: Converting Wined3d to use WGL instead of GLX

Aric Cyr Aric.Cyr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 03:11:48 CST 2006

Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger <at> gmx.at> writes:

> Hi,
> > Basically, I am in the debug phase, and at this point most bugs have been
> > ironed out.  That is, for dx9 stuff.  I soon ran into problems/regressions
> > with dx8 or lower (including ddraw!).  So I ended up repeating the (almost)
> > exactly same work for d3d8 and ddraw... not a pretty sight, and a pain to
> > debug them all.
> Is it necessary to change all this libs at once? What if  you changed WineD3D
> only, and wait for the d3d7 and d3d8 rewrite.

Unfortunately no.  At first this was my plan as well and I had only ported
wined3d.  However upon testing any d3d8 or d3d7 apps, they all broke.  The
reason was that they are already partially using wined3d and the mix of glX and
wgl calls was causing many problems.  That's when I realized that it would be
all or nothing.

The other option is for me to wait for all d3d and ddraw stuff to be ported to
wined3d before merging my wgl stuff, but my stuff is already done and who knows
when the ddraw/d3d stuff will be completely ported to wined3d.

Another scenario would be to port to wined3d just the ddraw/d3d* functions that
use glX directly.  I haven't looked into this though, so it may not even be
possible.

> > As a result this conversion has become a fairly large and invasive change
> > affecting all versions of directx... [I can't wait for all these to be
> > completely ported to wined3d].
> Well, at least ddraw has to wait until after my math test, I'm afraid :(

Good luck! :)

Regards,
  Aric