RFC: pch support

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Thu Jan 12 03:41:23 CST 2006

Hello Steven,

> Alexandre did not like the needed changes required to add support for
> this but I figured I would throw it out for debate anyway in case
> anyone else can make him change his mind (duck). The issue is he does
> not like needing a single header per-program or per dll. After doing
> some research it seems to me that even MSVC does not support multiple
> PCH files per project so I don't know how it could be fixed in gcc to
> do it Microsoft has not figured it out.

Why don't you create only one single precompiled header file for
<windows.h> ? The speedup effect will not that big as in your example.
But the code changes are minimal. The <windows.h> include is used nearly
everywhere, and it contains a great bunch of declarations. So it can be
used for most of all programs and DLLs. Perhaps this change is more easy to sell.