GIT rebase changes

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 11:23:10 CST 2006

Hi!

Mike McCormack wrote:
> The GIT guys have made rebase and pull incompatible, and to use rebase
> (which is likely what we want to do for Wine), you must use "fetch" then
> "rebase", not "pull" (which does a merge).
Depends if you want to keep your old history or not. "git pull" works
nicely.

> See:  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/365410
>
> The error message that you get if you use "pull" then try to "rebase"
> with newer version of GIT is pretty useless:
I run into this yesterday. My master had the same code but different
history than origin. Did a git rebase (after branching my master so i
can keep my old history) and expected it to make master identical to
origin. I know i can achieve the same by copying the origin head over to
the master head but that would be like cheating.

I'm still pondering what makes more sense:
- to keep my old history, or
- rebase to origin every now and then to easier spot the differences
between master and origin.

> bash-3.00$ git-rebase origin
> Current branch refs/heads/master is up to date.
>
> So use "git-fetch" to update origin, then "git-rebase origin" after that
> to get the new changes.  I've update the Wiki with that information -
> don't shoot the messenger :/

bye
	michael
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart