Golden apps?

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at
Sat Jan 21 19:00:44 CST 2006

On 1/21/06, Dan Kegel <dank at> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a list of 'gold' apps from the appdb,
> but it doesn't have a way to search like that,
> so I filed
> In the meantime, what apps work *really well* with Wine
> at the moment?  Firefox 1.5 seems to be in good shape.
> I'm looking for apps that will demo well for my talk at SCALE in two weeks.

If you looking for games, I maintain the AppDB entries for Diablo 2
and Warcraft 3.  I've finally rated both gold now that all the
critical features of the games work with the current wine releases.
And they run stable with only a few steps.  They look great.

Although the movies don't play right in Warcraft 3, as there are
crashing bugs with quartz, so I've done all that I have done all
along: removed the movies folder.  Then the game doesn't even use
quartz.  I don't consider this a critical issue since this
recommendation is given to windows users too when the game movies
don't work for them.  I'll have to try to debug it when I have a day
off of school.

Diablo 2 does still run in D3D mode if you hack the gamma function to
DD_OK.  Everything else there is ok.