HW address w/o connection in iphlpapi

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Wed Jan 25 13:38:34 CST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 11:13 -0800, Juan Lang wrote:
> I'm not the decider here, really.  Alexandre is.  While I'd like to see my
> recent patch get in because it removes a lot of unnecessary junk from
> ifenum.c and improves the situation for most people, it's not the end of
> the story.  Wine's policy is to try to run on as many systems as possible,
> regardless of what system it was built on.  From that perspective, using
> your approach is more correct.  Assuming my patch from today gets in, feel
> free to improve on it.

Got it. I have something that works for my product (rh8 based, wine
20050419). I'll keep an eye on this when we get around to upgrading.

I think what makes most sense is to use if_nameindex() unless it is
known not to work, using if_indextoname() only as a work around. Seems
like this could be done with a config flag, given that the only time
you'll see the problem is on a system with the old libc which means that
the wine was also built against the old libc. So a compile time flag
would do the trick. Does that sound right, or does it have to be
detected at runtime?

- mo