Shell integration

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri Jun 16 10:36:25 CDT 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:54:04 -0400, Ulrich Czekalla wrote:
> That's why I like the idea of using COM. All the infrastructure is already
> there. For now we can implement the trash shell object inside shell32 and
> if someone wants to write a OS/X version all they need to do is override a
> registry key. Other shell integration objects can even be implemented
> out-of-proc in the explorer process all this can be cleanly hidden from the
> shell32 code that uses it.

Out of process COM is never cleanly hidden; if nothing else it can cause
unexpected threads to be created and unexpected re-entrancy via the
implicit message loops.

Given that we already have platform specific handling infrastructure in
the form of the configure script, it could be as simple as having a
conditional Makefile that compiles functions with magic names.

thanks -mike