wine autorun utility

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 10:16:15 CDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Chris <chris.kcat at gmail.com> wrote:
> One could argue Windows itself is a mis-feature. :P Isn't the point of Wine to
> duplicate Windows, feature-for-feature and bug-for-bug? IMO, autorun
> capabilities should be included, though I personally don't care if it's on or
> off by default, as long as there's an option in winecfg. I'll just turn it
> off myself. Or perhaps even a popup notification upon the first detected
> autorun-capable disc, asking if you want to turn autorun on or off.
> autorun.inf needs to be parsed anyway, since it can set an icon for the
> drive.
No, I think the point of Wine is to run Windows programs on top of
Unix. We don't need autorun to run Windows programs at all. Wine often
leaves out features that are in Windows because they aren't needed to
get Windows programs to run.

Running whatever code happens to be on a cd without asking the user is
a very bad idea. I don't want to see it happen, and I think most real
Wine devs probably feel the same way.

Gnome already has a feature that can ask the user what to do when a cd
is inserted. KDE probably has a similar feature. I think they'd be the
people to ask if you want something like Windows' autorun.

--
Vincent Povirk