WINED3D: Implement GetCreationParameters

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Mar 8 13:18:46 CST 2006

Peter Beutner <p.beutner at gmx.net> writes:

> Just take the example you have written something in Office and the given behaviour(passing a
> NULL pointer) happens when you click on the print button. If it crashes your work is lost, if
> it returns an error( and the app handles it in a sane way ) you just won't be able to print
> it, but may save it and print it somehow else.
> In that case my main concern is certainly not that a crash helps me to find a bug, but
> to don't loose my data ;)

Your mistake is to assume that the app will handle the error in a sane
way. That's extremely unlikely, especially for things like bad
pointers since the app obviously didn't expect to be passing bad
pointers. If the app really wants to handle that sort of error it can
always add an exception handler around the call; so not trapping the
error in the library doesn't prevent the app from catching the error,
it just avoids forcing a lot of useless checks on well-written apps.

And it's not clear at all that crashing is more likely to lose data
than not crashing. With the Windows way, the app will merrily continue
working with corrupt data, which gives it a lot more opportunities to
add garbage to your data without noticing, than if it crashed right
away before having done too much damage.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org