Debugging X errors?

Dan Kegel dank at
Tue Mar 28 05:39:43 CST 2006

OK, I've had it.  The X errors I'm running into are keeping
me from getting work done.  They might be due to
bugs in my X server (ubuntu 05.10), but while I wait
for the next release of ubuntu, maybe I could try
to track them down anyway.

It looks like the procedure for diagnosing X errors such as

X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  17 (X_GetAtomName)
  Atom id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  468
in Wine is to do
  export WINEDEBUG
and then use winedbg to run the apps, and get a backtrace
when the error occurs.  I'll try that.
- Dan

Wine for Windows ISVs: