setupapi: Test loading an exe from the system directory with SetupOpenInfFile

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Tue Mar 28 03:28:00 CST 2006

"James Hawkins" <truiken at> writes:

> All the handling is in place for this to (mostly) work in
> SetupOpenInfFileW.  We call
> CreateFile("c:\\windows\\system32\\winver.exe", ...,
> OPEN_EXISTING...), but that fails, returning INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE.
> winver.exe is in drive_c/windows/system32 as a symlink to the
> installed  Should a call to CreateFile on a symlink
> fail?

If the symlink is broken, yes. Note that it's no longer supposed to be
a symlink, you should probably remove it and re-run wineprefixcreate.
That said, I'm not quite sure why you'd want to open an exe with

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at