Improper message recursion revealed by recent desktop window changes

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at
Fri Mar 31 10:26:32 CST 2006

On 3/30/06, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at> wrote:
> Troy Rollo <wine at> writes:
> > The brute-force approach of changing this to the following makes the
> > application work, but gives rise to some pack_message FIXMEs (for WM_NCPAINT
> > and WM_ERASEBKGND), and since this is an extremely sensitive piece of code to
> > change I thought it best left to people with more familiarity with it.
> I committed a few fixes that should help, please give it a try.

Ok, those patches didn't seem to help.  I tried to compare more
closely my stack in my program with his.  Instead of DestroyWindow, my
app is calling ShowWindow, so during a SendMessageW I believe of
WM_NCACTIVATE, it gets stuck.  The instruction is int 80 so I believe
that means it is going to do a system call?  If 0x8 thread gets killed
or you step until it ends, the other thread will start working again.
If you try cont, it remains stuck. Well you can see the my winedbg
session at this link.