Governance revisited (Wineconf report)

Jeff Latimer lats at yless4u.com.au
Sun Sep 24 06:30:28 CDT 2006

Vitaliy Margolen wrote:

>>The next question is how long does someone wait till resorting to
>>Bugzilla.  Depending on the criteria it could generate a fair bit of
>>

>-several days :)
>
>As in if some one wants to fix something, they should either provide a
>test (best choice) or open bug and describe the problem, and the resolution.

It seems a fairly short time, especially if there is no feedback to say
that it is rejected.  Thre is another aspect to this, what we are saying
is that some developers are able to write good code and won't need to
resort to Bugzilla and other developers just won't cut it and Bugzilla
is the way for them.  I think the discussion on mentoring and developing
the WineHQ compilant skills of developers is a more positive way forward.

>>noise in the database with a lot of patches that would normally be
>>

>This will not be noise but _correct_ use of bug database. Making good
>bug report is really helpful and 1/2 of the resolution.

I was thinking here of the 4,000 patches we have had since March this
year and how many would be added to Bugzilla.  I expect that a fair few
hundred or more would be in this category.

>>accepted after a couple of goes.  Who is responsible for clearing the
>>bug report after acceptance?   Unless you are actually actively pushing
>>

>Of course ultimately  bug submitter would be the right person to test if
>bug is still present in new version and act upon it.

If this process is being directed at hackers who can't get patches
accepted, they probably won't be on the list for long enough to test the
patch as they probably will leave.

>>the patch for acceptance, the submitter of a patch to Bugzilla would
>>probably be unaware that it had been accepted.
>>

>They don't have to. All they need is update Wine to new version whenever
>it's released.

You misunderstood me here, but I think the answer is that the person who
make the patch to resolve a Bug report will close the Bug.

>Vitaliy

Jeff