xdg_user_dirs patches

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Dec 2 08:16:10 CST 2007

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Steven Edwards wrote:
[...]
> What this means is that on logon or logoff the WM would call our
> function and generate these fake Shortcuts for the *.lnk files by
> running a copy of winepath after calling the Wine shelllink processor.
> The results of winepath would translate 'c:\Program Files\Foo\Bar.exe'
> in to '~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Foo/Bar.exe
> and pass that to the array in memory containing the "fake" shortcuts.

How does Gnome/KDE know which WINEPREFIX to use for foo.lnk? Why should
it be '~/.wine' rather than '~/.wine-steam', '~/.wine-office' or
something else?

> > What Wine could do is try to sync the Unix and Windows desktops with FAM
> > magic, all while not replicating the .lnk files to the Unix desktop.
>
> Yes I am talking about using something like FAM but having it look for
> *.lnk changes on the users Linux desktop. Evertime a FAM event occors
> such as an install of a Windows application with a desktop shelllink,
> the array containing the "fake" shortcuts in the WM is updated. When
> the user logs off, this data is lost. The WM gets to keep the Windows
> and Linux Desktop's in sync without having to actually mess with
> generating new shortcuts and or confusing the user by having multiple
> directories.

Well, that sounds like just having Gnome/KDE (!=WM) know how to
interpret .lnk files. No specific FAM here beyond what they already do.

        It really galls me that most of the computer power in the world
                          is wasted on screen savers.
                     Chris Caldwell from the GIMPS project
                       http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm