user32/tests: Mysterious WinXP 0xae and 0xef messages.

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at
Thu Jan 18 21:42:10 CST 2007

"Kirill K. Smirnov" <lich at> wrote:

> While improving rejected tests for WM_SETICON:
> I've noticed, that WinXP sends some mysterious message 0xae, that breaks
> tests.
> Googling it, I've found few notes indicating to WM_NCUAHDRAWCAPTION
> [0xae] message and WM_NCUAHDRAWFRAME[0xaf]. [
> blog/index.php?op=Default&Date=200503&blogId=1] As I understood it,
> these messages are used to paint WINXP-specific fancy borders and
> captions.
> But MSDN shows absolutely absence of any knowledge concerning it.
> AFAIK wine does not support them too.
> Should these messages be implemented? Or at least add mnemonics to
> winuser.h?
> Anyway, how those tests should be modified to pass under XP and other
> versions?

There is no need to add support for that purely internal XP messages.
Have a look at the WmAltVkN message sequence how it copes with 0x00AE:
it just marks it 'optional' and has a comment /* XP */ for it.