zip folders support

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Fri Jun 8 14:09:22 CDT 2007

> I would like to ask you about an interfaces of zip folder dynamic
> library - if they're known I would implement zip folders support.
> It was suggested to ask someone from wine development team to get more
> information about that.
> Please, take a look to the discussion in the wine group about that:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/browse_thread
>/thread/1b6f661308400d96/?hl=en# If you have an information about zip
> folders please let me know.
> btw: maybe an implementation of the such support is prohibited on
> Linux due to some restrictions with LZW algorithm? Or maybe Microsoft
> did not care about documenting this library? Unfortunately I am not
> found any information about this library in MSDN in the topics for
> developers.
Shouldn't such a functionality be implemented somewhere in
Linux/BSD/MacOS/Solaris(like a FUSE filesystem)? If the os can mount zip
files wine apps can use it too. Of course if some application uses zip
folders directly then we need that implemented in wine.

As for the algorithms, I think wine can just call zlib.