Direct3D Game test framework

Vit Hrachovy vit.hrachovy at sandbox.cz
Tue Jun 26 07:06:28 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 01:06:02PM +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > I second Vit's recommendation.  We're using Autohotkey
> > scripts in our test framework
> >   http://code.google.com/p/yawt/
> > and I've been meaning to work with Vit to get his scripts
> > incorporated into our framework.
> Appart of controlling the apps we'll need some programs to start the
> application scripts, extract the results and do something with them. That
> could be some bash or perl scripts.
>
> We also need some database to collect the results. This could be something
> webserver based with some simple SQL database, or just another set of perl
> scripts on a server. Here I'd like to look how much cxtest infrastructure we
> can reuse. Any volunteers for writing such a thing?

Since yawt may be used as a part of cxtest framework, how about that,
Dan? It may be less work to set up the cxtest pool than to create a new
testing framework.

If cxtest shows some great architectural weaknesses, Vincent Povirk and
me can do the necessary infrastructure tailored to Direct3D specific
needs.

Webserver & PHP for frontend, perl/bash/SQL for backend.

We shall discuss the requirements in more exact manner.

	1. Define demo packages
	2. Define testing environment configurations
	3. Define tracked results data items (SQL db architecture)

The resulting infrastructure shall be human independent in following terms:
	human will
		prepare a test 'package' (one application)
		prepare test units (individual tests)
	machine will
		run the test units per package
		interpret the results if possible
		store the results and run logs (with screenshots)

This will allow for automated test runs at given time.
AFAIK cxtest passes all defined requirements above.

I'll try to play with cxtest and report back, preferably with some
testing setup.

Regards
Vit