Link creation not working _properly_ under 2.6 kernel?

Tom Spear speeddymon at
Mon Mar 19 15:49:16 CDT 2007

> On 3/16/07, Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at> wrote:
> > Tom Spear wrote:
> > > I did some more checking into this just now.  I'm not sure why or how,
> > > but when I installed Worms 2, it installed the menu entries properly.
> > > So I uninstalled WinRAR and reinstalled it.  This time it created a
> > > menu entry for WinRAR under the wine folder in the menu, but it isnt a
> > > subfolder, like it should be and the other icons that should be in the
> > > menu aren't there.  It appears that the winrar installer may be doing
> > > something that other installers dont do....
> > After install is finished you did run 'wineboot' right? As most
> > installers create icons _first_ before anything else is installed.
> >

> > > Anyone know of any debug messages I should run to try to narrow down
> > > the problem?
> > menubuilder would be helpfull. With the bug # where you should send all
> > this information of course.
> >
> > Vitaliy

I just uninstalled 0.9.32 (using the make directory for 0.9.32) and
pulled and installed 0.9.33, removed ~/.wine, and drive_c as well as
my desktop icons, and menu icons.

On an unrelated note, oddly enough wine prompted me to install gecko,
but when I said yes it did not install it and instead tried to
initialize the one from my 0.9.32 install, which wasnt there...

So anyways I get it all installed, run wineprefixcreate and winecfg,
switch to my home directory, run wine with WINEDEBUG=+menubuilder
./wrar362.exe and install it.

The Desktop icon appears like usual, but still no menu icons.  So I
run WINEDEBUG=+menubuilder wineboot and still get no menu icons.  So,
thinking that maybe the K Menu just needed to refresh, I rebooted the
machine, and STILL get no icons..  So I looked into the
drive_c/Program\ Files/WinRAR directory, and again there is the folder
WinRAR (/mnt/d/Program\ Files/WinRAR/WinRAR) with all of the icons in
it.. So I am still having my icons created in the Program files

Im taking a look into menubuilder now to see if I can find anything
and will post back once the site is back up (which will be about the
time you read this).  By that time I will also have a bug # (since I
cant very well create a bug with bugzilla down too)..  The full
+menubuilder trace is attached with comments inside the file, and the
trace will also be attached to the bug for future reference..

Check out this new 3D Instant Messenger called IMVU.  It's the best I
have seen yet!