Road to 1.0 (graphics driver architecture)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Sun Mar 25 12:31:11 CDT 2007

"Rolf Kalbermatter" <r.kalbermatter at> writes:

> While the current apporach certainly works fine as far as invoking the
> DC specific functions without a lot of checking about the type of DC
> that is involved and therefore has a straightforward interface in GDI32
> I think the matching of the actual driver interface with the actual GDI
> functions adds a lot of overhead into the driver itself that could much
> more easily be done once in GDI and left out of the driver completely.
> However changing the driver interface to match the let's say W2K driver
> would be quite a bit of work although it would seem to me at least an
> idea. Coming up with yet a different Wine specific interface would first
> require some architectural design work too but maybe you have done
> something in that direction already.

No, I don't have any plans to change the GDI interface, and I don't
think any changes are necessary, the DC interface works fine for our
needs. The area that really needs refactoring for the quartz driver is
the user32 interface.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at