Bug triage, or spam?

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Thu May 31 13:45:21 CDT 2007

On 5/31/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/31/07, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Marking bugs as closed has nothing to do with bug triage.  Triaging
> > bugs would be a really helpful thing, but mass-closing bugs does
> > nothing but give subscribers a whole lot of emails to delete.  We
> > don't keep track of stats like other projects, so there's really no
> > point to blindly close all bugs that are resolved, instead of closing
> > bugs on a case by case basis.
>
> I'm not blindly closing all bugs marked resolved..  It seems to me
> that you didnt real thru all of the emails, but I have been posting
> comments, etc before closing, and there are some that are marked
> resolved that I did not close, or that I even reopened based on the
> most recent commentS that indicate the bug might not be fixed, or
> might actully be a real wine bug..

I do read through all of your bug emails, which is exactly the
problem, because I don't trust that you make the right decision on
every bug, and in some cases I've had to go back and correct it.  That
is the issue.

> > > since invalid isnt really "resolved", and neither is works for me
> >
> > But closing these bugs somehow makes them "resolved" for you?
>
> It's an organizational thing, if they are closed, then we know for
> sure that they are resolved.

The statement still stands.  Resolved isn't resolved enough for you,
but closed is...If a bug is marked resolved, I'm pretty sure it's
resolved.

> Since everyone is prone to marking a bug
> as invalid when it is really a bug, or works for me when it really
> should be open because some users are experiencing it but not others,
> leaving it as resolved just says that the person who resolved it was
> too lazy to close it, and that they didn't check back to make sure
> that some other users didnt have the same problem..  Case in point:
> bug 3889, has been resolved as worksforme (i did it over a year ago),
> when it is really a bug, and has never truely been resolved in wine.
> I just looked back thru the conversation that took place on wine-devel
> and saw no definitive response saying that the bug was fixed by an
> alexandre patch, and saw nothing that says the bug is not a bug, so I
> am about to reopen it and ask if the issue is fixed in current wine.

No one has problems with people correcting bugs that are marked
incorrectly, but of the 30 or so bugs a day that you change, this case
is a small amount.  If you *only* changed this class of bugs, then
that would be fine.

--
James Hawkins