TransGaming's dpnet (DirectPlay 8)

Kai Blin kai.blin at
Wed Nov 21 03:34:26 CST 2007

On Wednesday 21 November 2007 05:42:18 Gavriel State wrote:

Hi Gav,

> On #winehackers the other day, kblin asked about whether TransGaming had
> a Direct Play implementation.  The answer is that we have something that
> was worked on for a while but never completed.  We have had some partial
> success with it in the initial connection stages, but never pushed it
> much beyond that.

Thanks for getting back with that one faster than I managed to remind you
about it.

> Enclosed here is a patch to today's WineHQ git tree with our dpnet
> implementation in the hopes that someone finds it useful.  Beyond
> ensuring that it compiles and links, it has not been tested at all with
> WineHQ.

I hope to get around playing with it later this week, I'm currently somewhat
busy writing code I'm getting paid for. :)

Looking at dpnet/protocol.h I can see what you mean with partial (It's
probably visible in other places as well, but my work on dplay so far was
dissecting the over-wire traffic it generated). I can jump right in there.

Thanks for the code.

Kai Blin
WorldForge developer
Wine developer