Driver-supported DirectX

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Fri Nov 23 09:03:27 CST 2007

Am Freitag, 23. November 2007 12:25:34 schrieb H. Verbeet:
> Just to add something to that, most of the issues that are there are
> with older versions of Direct3D and fixed function. The more modern
> functionality is relatively easier to translate  because D3D and GL
> simply expose the programmability of the hardware.
Not quite, there are a few issues at shader level as well. One issue that
comes to my mind are the 10 varyings vs 8+2 colors in opengl. It is a driver
limitation actually, but encouraged by the GLSL spec. An architectural
problem is that OpenGL does not support an up to date assemler shader
interface. And all shaders are compiled and linked at runtime, causing a
short rendering freeze whenever a new shader is used.

> It may be useful contacting the nouveau (open source NVidia 3D driver
> reverse engineering project) development team to see if they can add
> OpenGL extensions for DirectX functionality.
This sounds like a nice idea, but in reality we've been talking about getting
various X11 or opengl extensions added to $SOFTWARE and it never happened.